Step 3: Seller’s Permit

Step 3: Obtain a Seller’s Permit for Sales Tax

Do I need a Seller’s Permit? If you plan to legally vend physical goods in your state, then yes. You will be required to collect and track sales tax on eligible goods, and file and pay your sales tax annually. Reputable events will require you to have a Seller’s Permit, to meet the requirements of their Event Permit.

What if I vend Services? In California, services like body painting or sewing, are sales tax-exempt and does not require a permit. For other states, check tax requirements.

How do I get a Seller’s Permit? You can apply for a FREE California Seller’s Permit from the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration, at the link below. Allow 1-2 weeks to receive your permit.
Obtain a California Sellers Permit

Can I include the sales tax into the retail price? Yes. Customers so appreciate having the sales tax built in since it’s less complicated at the POS (point of sale). It just takes some accounting math at when it’s time to file Sales Tax.

Note: My consulting services includes pre-made accounting spreadsheets using Google Sheets. Contact me if interested.

%d bloggers like this: